Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It was Goodbye

It was one last night in my cozy camp room...


It was one last time of brushing my teeth in the woods...


It was making one last french press with the electric tea kettle in my room...



One last walk down dirt trails...


...by which we commute around camp, "our house".


It's like the entire camp is our house. So I'd leave my things in, say, the office - water bottle, sunglasses, jacket - and walk off. But rather than going into the other room like in a normal house to retrieve the forgotten item, I have to walk ten minutes across camp and possibly climb a substantial hill.


It was one last time of entering numbers into the computer at "my" desk...


(with many a' interruption, such as collaborating with Ducky and Bomb to get the chipmunk out of the other room)

...in the office...



...where Tiny always left his shoes in a corner, and Mauli the Dog hid under my desk during thunder storms and stank to high heaven, and Odin photoshopped our faces into funny pictures...


 ...the office where the Magnificent Seven (management) hung out, making daily office polls on the whiteboard about whether the office had gotten dirty enough for Gypsy (i.e. me) to go crazy and clean it up and throw everything away again, or whether Buck or Gypsy would get back first from town, or which troop would arrive last on Sunday and what time, or whether Ducky's truck would break down next or the trap thrower.


It was one last look up that road...


It was one last laugh.

It was hugs all around.

It was goodbye.


1 comment:

Donna said...

I know how you hate and avoid good byes but I'm so glad you had the summer and have all the memories.

And I can't wait to get back to seeing you again!

Two more weeks.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm